In House Project
“Ntsoana and its collaborators aesthetically remapped and energised Joburg dance and performance.” Adrienne Sichel – The Star Newspaper (in House Project 2010)
The In House Project takes dance and performance art out of the darkened theatre space of traditionally accepted venues and places it back in the centre of where people live and interact; their suburbs, their living spaces.
Each day is a unique experience as audience members are taken on journey across the city and its surrounds, travelling between different suburban connections, moving between the diversity of Alexandra and Soweto as well as Jo’burg’s Northern Suburbs.
The project brings together different sectors of the community, gives them a common point of reference through art and allows them discourse; it seeks to address outdated images, perceptions and ideas; be it of homes and spaces or dance and art.
Art is brought into the public space, pushing the boundaries of the performers, and seeking the uninvited audience. The performance journey challenges the audience and spectators to step out of their routine and habits and to see Jo’burg and its surrounds through another’s experience
• First produced in 2010 with funding from the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund - Travelling between Jo’burg’s Northern Suburbs,
• Works by: Camino Dance Project, Sifiso Kweyama, Zoey Lapinsky, Humphrey Maleka, Brian Mtembu, Publik Kreativity Drama Krew,
Sifiso Seleme, Peter van Heerden
• Second edition in 2011 as part of Emerging Modernities hosted by GIPCA-University of Cape Town, Cape Town
• Works by: Humphrey Maleka, Brian Mtembu, Sello Pesa, Peter van Heerden
• Third edition in 2012 funded by the Goethe-Institut South Africa - Travelling between Jo’burg’s Northern Suburbs, Soweto, Alexandra,
• Works by: Boemo babo ntate Bothata, Common Sense(Leila Anderson and Dutch installation artist Stan Wannet),Christian
Etongo(Cameroon), Murray Kruger, Thabiso Heccius Pule, Johannes Paul Raether(Germany),
• Fourth edition in 2016 funded by the National Lotteries Commission of South Africa - Travelling between Jo’burg’s Northern Suburbs,
Cosmo City, Soweto, Alexandra,
• Works by: Hlengiwe Lushaba Madlala, Boemo Babo ntate Bothata, Rosana Maya, Dean Hutton, Jean Christophe Lanquetin (France),
Compagnie Tétradanse (Reunion Island)
Photographs 2012 courtesy of the Goethe Institute Johannesburg